Jane H. Hill, The Everyday Language of White Racism (via wretchedoftheearth)
This is like when me and my white soon-to-be husband were looking for places. I’d call up and they’d say, “Come on down! Get an application!”. Because I don’t “sound” black.
Then I’d walk in 2 minutes later and they’d be all, “Oh. Sorry, we just rented it.”
Then I’d send him in and he’d get an application.
The best part? Walking back in while he was completing the application. “Oh, they gave you an application? But they told me it was just rented. ODD. THAT. I’m going to report them so let’s just skip this place, m’kay?” The looks on their faces and the pathetic apologies were just too much fun.
Used to deal with the same thing with road trips. Hotels would tell me that there were no vacancies, but my white roommate would go in and get us a room, usually cheaper than advertised.
I do similar stuff at restauants and other places of business with my white bf. At least it makes it easier to know where not to go!
Reblogging again for the commentary
But we’re just supposed to *trust* and think everything is an *isolated* incident.
Not so sophisticated scholars, were they? I mean this really, really shouldn’t be all that surprising.
It shouldn’t be surprising, but I guarantee that most white people find it unbelievable
I’m going to reblog this every time I see it on my dash. My parents pointed out how this phenomenon worked when we were moving to PA (they’d get steered to crummier neighborhoods and have to insist on being shown others). Housing discrimination is still pretty widespread and the gatekeepers? Tend to either intentionally or due to unchecked bias reinforce the status quo.
It always floors me the things people are surprised at. Meanwhile, every person of color is sitting here like, “Oh. Must be another day that ends in Y, and in other news, water is wet.” Like, really, people are surprised by this, and whenever they show surprise at learning stuff that we go through, I have to poker face, lest I end up giving them the most disbelieving side eye in history because how do you NOT know this? But then, you know. Some people have the privilege of being able to be unaware it because it’s not a problem they have to deal with. :/ (via lori-jaye)
Reblogged again for commentary
Sounds like my friends when they were looking for a place in Midtown memphis(mostly white liberal middle class area)… they said people would invite them to see the places and then would either suddenly become unavailable or they would just ignore their phone calls.. but the Obama’s said “no more excuses.. work harder”…
Sort of had this issue with an acquaintance of my boss. The application was approved and all systems were go until the potential tenant (a Black person) faxed in a copy of their picture ID. Suddenly, the landlord didn’t want to rent the home out anymore. A real estate agent on behalf of the client threatened to pursue legal action and the acquaintance asked us for advice.
I read the email and was like, “pbbft, your landlord fucked himself over. what do you want us to say? have fun getting sued, you should’ve known better.”
Officially in love with sara-huynh
All of this beautiful commentary.
- purple-cabbages reblogged this from anagnori
- purple-cabbages likes this
- radovci likes this
- purplehoneybees likes this
- lellaprincesspants reblogged this from thehealthywarrior
- ragamuffian reblogged this from gloomy-optimist
- nascentbitterness likes this
- iammarianis likes this
- girlwhocriedsupernova reblogged this from queerkenosis
- launchthehoneybunchstarships reblogged this from fanufactured
- daredevildragondame likes this
- blackmagicalgirlmisandry likes this
- lizgrandmaison likes this
- valdara reblogged this from invisiblelad
- star800light reblogged this from gottalovethenerd
- fuckingandsuckingjesus reblogged this from jackpowerx
- thestoryoflaneisha reblogged this from blackpowerpunchwithadropkick
- piel-de-ciudad reblogged this from gottalovethenerd
- campsisradicals reblogged this from gottalovethenerd
- gottalovethenerd reblogged this from invisiblelad
- carlasachiko reblogged this from lesighh
- differentindividual reblogged this from fashion-royalty
- fashion-royalty reblogged this from lesighh
- femmebrigade reblogged this from lesighh
- pensamiento-serpentino likes this
- lesighh reblogged this from invisiblelad
- geniusorinsanity likes this
- verbose-vespertine likes this
- inbarfink likes this
- chaoswolf1982 reblogged this from blackphoenix77
- artschoolalchemy reblogged this from invisiblelad
- weallcaretolittle reblogged this from blackpowerpunchwithadropkick
- joshua-trees-77 reblogged this from blackphoenix77
- joshua-trees-77 likes this
- blackphoenix77 reblogged this from invisiblelad
- blackphoenix77 likes this
- jaimebluesq likes this
- athousanderrors reblogged this from starsoverhead
- leptosia-nina reblogged this from fieldoftheother
- nebet-ren likes this
- mechamachina likes this
- unabletowatchmits reblogged this from doncoyote
- worldonlyisee reblogged this from fieldoftheother
- marrrow reblogged this from fieldoftheother
- fieldoftheother reblogged this from muchanimal-veryfeminism-wow
- doncoyote reblogged this from fangirlfeminists
- fangirlfeminists reblogged this from intellectualratchetry