Jane H. Hill, The Everyday Language of White Racism (via wretchedoftheearth)
This is like when me and my white soon-to-be husband were looking for places. I’d call up and they’d say, “Come on down! Get an application!”. Because I don’t “sound” black.
Then I’d walk in 2 minutes later and they’d be all, “Oh. Sorry, we just rented it.”
Then I’d send him in and he’d get an application.
The best part? Walking back in while he was completing the application. “Oh, they gave you an application? But they told me it was just rented. ODD. THAT. I’m going to report them so let’s just skip this place, m’kay?” The looks on their faces and the pathetic apologies were just too much fun.
Used to deal with the same thing with road trips. Hotels would tell me that there were no vacancies, but my white roommate would go in and get us a room, usually cheaper than advertised.
I do similar stuff at restauants and other places of business with my white bf. At least it makes it easier to know where not to go!
Reblogging again for the commentary
But we’re just supposed to *trust* and think everything is an *isolated* incident.
Not so sophisticated scholars, were they? I mean this really, really shouldn’t be all that surprising.
It shouldn’t be surprising, but I guarantee that most white people find it unbelievable
I’m going to reblog this every time I see it on my dash. My parents pointed out how this phenomenon worked when we were moving to PA (they’d get steered to crummier neighborhoods and have to insist on being shown others). Housing discrimination is still pretty widespread and the gatekeepers? Tend to either intentionally or due to unchecked bias reinforce the status quo.
It always floors me the things people are surprised at. Meanwhile, every person of color is sitting here like, “Oh. Must be another day that ends in Y, and in other news, water is wet.” Like, really, people are surprised by this, and whenever they show surprise at learning stuff that we go through, I have to poker face, lest I end up giving them the most disbelieving side eye in history because how do you NOT know this? But then, you know. Some people have the privilege of being able to be unaware it because it’s not a problem they have to deal with. :/ (via lori-jaye)
Reblogged again for commentary
Sounds like my friends when they were looking for a place in Midtown memphis(mostly white liberal middle class area)… they said people would invite them to see the places and then would either suddenly become unavailable or they would just ignore their phone calls.. but the Obama’s said “no more excuses.. work harder”…
Sort of had this issue with an acquaintance of my boss. The application was approved and all systems were go until the potential tenant (a Black person) faxed in a copy of their picture ID. Suddenly, the landlord didn’t want to rent the home out anymore. A real estate agent on behalf of the client threatened to pursue legal action and the acquaintance asked us for advice.
I read the email and was like, “pbbft, your landlord fucked himself over. what do you want us to say? have fun getting sued, you should’ve known better.”
Officially in love with sara-huynh
All of this beautiful commentary.
- aya1349 reblogged this from strawberrysweetlolita
- strawberrysweetlolita reblogged this from ilovemyfatcat
- babynasha likes this
- princesskilljoy reblogged this from burnedbanksia
- dynamicallyoff reblogged this from ritterfritter
- theyshouldputinnumber2 reblogged this from alexandrascabot
- lumpyspacesydney reblogged this from ritterfritter
- alexandrascabot reblogged this from ritterfritter
- a-changeintheweather likes this
- ritterfritter reblogged this from opalinebaby
- princessnaphthalene reblogged this from theincandescentqueen
- thepotterswife likes this
- ovyy-pvcure reblogged this from theincandescentqueen
- ovyy-pvcure likes this
- theincandescentqueen reblogged this from nikkeatsrocks
- dmdown reblogged this from silentaj
- silentaj reblogged this from panpolymommy
- silentaj likes this
- kay-the-strange likes this
- panpolymommy reblogged this from iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea
- leafwhispers likes this
- ilikethingsthatilike reblogged this from joyuntiltheveryend
- hellonostalgicsouls reblogged this from las-calles
- opus-pocus likes this
- onelovebmx likes this
- ughwhocarez likes this
- 3wrongsmakealeft reblogged this from maxamillionracism
- 3wrongsmakealeft likes this
- nucd likes this
- nucd reblogged this from maxamillionracism
- kumaton reblogged this from maxamillionracism
- fox141 reblogged this from maxamillionracism
- fox141 likes this
- maxamillionracism reblogged this from talesofastolenafrican
- thisislakshmi likes this
- s--i--l--e--n--c--e reblogged this from las-calles
- homwrecker likes this
- las-calles reblogged this from opalinebaby
- faerieclara likes this
- labmunky reblogged this from whitepeoplesaidwhat
- steviegskillz reblogged this from pickartie
- masteringastronomy reblogged this from laenan
- laenan reblogged this from portlybibliophile
- thattoriperson likes this
- timthavillain likes this
- pbyuki-onna reblogged this from veecksta
- veecksta reblogged this from lobstermatriarch
- lobstermatriarch reblogged this from opalinebaby
- apprendere likes this
- mousieandco likes this